At North Whidbey Hearts and Hammers, we are committed to fostering an environment of diversity, equity, and inclusion within our all-volunteer organization. We believe that embracing DEI enhances our ability to serve the community and fulfill our mission.
1. Diversity: We value and celebrate the diverse backgrounds, experiences, and perspectives of our volunteers, homeowner assistance recipients, and community members. We actively seek to attract, engage, and retain individuals of all races, ethnicities, genders, sexual orientations, abilities, religions, ages, and socioeconomic backgrounds.
2. Equity: We recognize that not every individual starts from the same place. We have a duty to make adjustments to imbalances to promote fairness and justice, meeting communities where they are, to create equal outcomes for all. Equality: We recognize the inherent worth and dignity of every individual involved in our organization and community. We are committed to treating everyone with respect, fairness, and kindness, and providing equal opportunities for involvement, leadership, and growth. While Equality is important, Equity goes a step further in differential treatment & resource redistribution to achieve a level playing field. Simply put, Equality means things are the same, while Equity means things are fair.
3. Inclusion: We strive to create an inclusive and welcoming environment where all volunteers, homeowner assistance recipients, and community members feel valued, heard, and included. We actively promote a culture of inclusivity by encouraging open communication, active listening, and collaboration. We seek to dismantle barriers and create opportunities for participation for individuals who may have traditionally been marginalized or underrepresented.
4. Education and Awareness: We are dedicated to continuous learning and increasing awareness around issues of diversity, equity, and inclusion. We commit to providing resources, trainings, and opportunities for volunteers to expand their understanding, challenge biases, and engage in constructive dialogue. By fostering a culture of learning, we empower our volunteers to actively contribute to a more inclusive organization and community.
5. Accountability: We hold ourselves accountable to the principles of this DEI policy by regularly evaluating our progress, seeking feedback from volunteers and the community, and making necessary adjustments to ensure that our practices align with our commitment to diversity, equity, and inclusion.
By embracing diversity, equity, and inclusion, North Whidbey Hearts and Hammers aims to create a more equitable and compassionate community where everyone can thrive. Together, we can build a stronger organization and make a positive impact in the lives of those we serve.